First Year Tips
Dear Incoming Freshman,
So you’re nervous--I know how you feel. But I just recently finished my first year at Pensacola Christian College, and there’s nothing to worry about because it’s not nearly as scary as you’re thinking.
To help ease your transition into college life, I have a couple of tips for you.
1. Pray! God will calm your nerves and give you peace.
2. Bring items that will make your room feel like home, such as pillows for your bed, a lamp, air freshener, snacks, etc. You’ll feel a lot more relaxed if your room is comfortable.
3. Take time setting up your schedule. If you aren’t a morning person, you may want to steer clear of first hour grammar class. If you want to play collegian sports, avoid the evening classes. Also, consider the location of your classes. Making it from a class on the 6th floor of the Academic Center to a class in the back of the Crowne Centre is possible, but rigorous. And avoid taking a PE class right before another class—that way you’ll have time to shower. Good planning will save you a lot of grief later on in the semester. Remember that you won’t be planning alone; a faculty advisor will help.
4. Take 3x5 cards with you to class. These are going to be your best friend for the next four years. You’ll take quizzes on these, and chances are someone around you will forget his and need to borrow one.
5. Make friends. Everything you hear about PCC’s friendly campus is not just something that the advertising department says. The students are super friendly and very accepting. You’ll make some of your best friends here.
Remember that God has you coming to PCC for a reason. I look forward to seeing you this semester. It’s going to be a blast!